Sunday, October 18, 2009

Envy

This has been a real problem with me for most of my life. A lot of times I'll look at what others have and what I don't have and it makes me really depressed. Seems like everyone is moving forward and growing, except for me. I feel like I'm going to be left behind. At times, I'll feel incompetent, have real low self-esteem, or feel completely unmotivated and uninspired. Maybe it's me being ungrateful or some form of jealousy. Is there any benefit in comparing yourself to others? How would you go about stopping yourself from comparing?

Well to wish you were someone else, is to waste the person you are.

That pretty much sums it up. I was having a conversation earlier this week with a lady about her and confidence problems and wanting to change who she was so that she could hopefully be in a relationship with a guy who she had an interest in. My advice to her was DONT CHANGE ANYTHING about yourself. Comparing yourself to others makes you feel bad and jealous because your looking in a negative mindset, I think you can still compare yourself but you need to stop thinking about what they have that makes them better then you, why your not as good as them and so on. You need to approach it with a positive mind set and think, that person seems very confident, what is it about them that makes them that way? Is it something that I have that I haven't been considering?

Just remind yourself constantly that you are you for a reason, not to be someone else but to be your smiley old self. Once you believe that and that no one else is better at being you then you, it shouldn't be such as burden anymore.
you know what, no matter which area you choose, you are going to find people who are better than you and people who are worse than you. Take money for instance. There are people in Africa who cannot get a meal everyday and there is the Forbes list of billionaires. You, I and everybody else fit somewhere in between, maybe skewed to one side than the other. So what is the point of comparing and getting depressed about it?
I know it's difficult to implement this attitude because it is ingrained in our culture. With practice it can be done.

What matters most it how you see yourself. Depends, i looked at myself in the mirror and all i see is a lion.Not a cutie one like simba, but a very scary one.indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, I like your post, this one. And I am definitely agree with you. I have once found the inspiring quote, just like yours. "Trying to be someone you are not is a waste of who you are." No need to be other person, just be grateful of who you are now. And honestly, I have ever envied someone who was prettier than me. I am short and fat, and I used to have low -self confidence. But when I thought back abstrusely, I said to myself, "At least I have a pair of eyes to see the picturesque world, a nose with two nostrils to smell, I have a mouth to communicate and a complete set of body to interact with other human-beings." Isn't that right?

    All I want to say is, keep blogging, blogger.

    ReplyDelete